A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Gingham Josephine

Immediately after finishing my replacement Kaffe Fassett Josephine, I sewed up another one.  I had a yard of this rayon challis in my stash (what else does a girl like me - or you - do with an Amazon gift card, anyway?) and it was just enough to squeak out the pattern (this was helped by the fact that I had previously modified the back to have a center seam). piece.  I think I had to cut the front bodice piece slightly narrower at the hem to squeak the top out of a yard.


The modifications are the same as the floral version, but this time I sewed the release tucks a couple inches longer.  The rest of it is exactly the same.  And just like the last version, I used some cotton shirting to make bias tape to finish the armholes and neckline.


Rayon challis is a great fabric to use for this pattern.  It keeps all the volume of the fabric below the tucks in check, so you get a breezy top that doesn't look like a muumuu.  I am also an eternal fan of plaid in general and gingham in particular (as evidenced by several recent makes), so this has been getting a lot of wear in the past month.


My pattern matching on the back isn't perfect, but I'm digging the slight wonkiness.  And I'm so glad I took the time to get this pattern to where I wanted it.


Thanks for reading, and see you next time!
SaveSave

5 comments:

  1. It is a perfect summer top! And pattern matching... take a look on line if in store... RTW doesn't care. Yours looks almost perfect. Enjoy your new top and all the iterations to come. Thanks for the inspiration to keep working on a pattern until it is what you have in mind, not to short change ourselves for the sake of the now, of the new and shiny. I have not been interested in gingham before, but this really does look like summer... might need to go shopping after work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty and looks so cool for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric you picked for this top! The bust dart (Is that what it's called?) is perfectly placed! It's very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're killing me over here! I have printed and tiled this pattern, but haven't even cut into muslin yet. #slooooooowfashion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turned out so nice !! The plaid fabric and top overall is very flattering on you. I wouldn't have given this pattern much thought, worried it would add volume at waist but doesn't seem to at all.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!