A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Sewing souvenirs

There is a fabric store here that I pass twice a day, on my way to pick up and drop off the girls from school.  Occasionally I'd stop in and browse the fabrics, which are all imported from Dubai.  This past spring, they got in a new collection, and among them was a smooth, lusciously drapey, Burberry-esque plaid rayon challis.  I kept going back to visit it until last month, when I finally gave in and bought two yards.

Sadly I did not think to photograph it until it a few days later, and by then it had wrinkled.  Ironing fabric just for a photo shoot seemed a bit precious, so here you go.



I just can't photograph it in a way that does it justice - and further, I have NO IDEA what I am going to do with it.  But I just couldn't resist.

They had it in three color ways - the one you see here, a hot pink and a black.  I'm still thinking about that black one; I may yet be tempted to go back and buy it and carry it home in my suitcase since all our stuff has already been packed.

In the last couple months I've also done a bit of button shopping.  I haven't been the happiest with the buttons that are available here - they are heavy on novelty buttons without a lot of plain, serviceable quality ones.  But I have collected an assortment that spoke to me.


The cream and light blue ones have sort of an iridescent crackle effect going on.  The polka dot ones are really cute - no idea what I will do with them but - polka dots!  So there you go.  My Georgian sewing souvenirs.

6 comments:

  1. It's always good to have sewing souvenirs. The fabric is lovely - I think you should go back and get the black too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks for the push :) I haven't done it yet but we still have four days left in the country ...

      Delete
  2. Ooh, passing by a fabric shop twice a day sounds dangerous (:

    I don't think I've sewn with challis before. The burberry style of the print makes me think trench dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric. If the photos don't do it justice, I can't even imagine how awesome it must be in real life. And those buttons! Love, love all around! Such great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The buttons are so cute. I have an awful time finding buttons. The fabric is great too. Do you go back and get more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very excited to hear from you on my blog!
    I have been thinking of you.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!