A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Emergency sewing for KCW

It's not an emergency exactly, but my 4-year-old recently outgrew just about everything she owns.  Other than tights, underwear and socks, I don't buy clothes for the girls anymore, so this weekend I set about making a new fleece jacket, long-sleeved tee and pair of jeggings.  I did not have to look far for patterns. Being an ardent fan of Oliver+S, I already own 20 of their 40 patterns.  And I was just in time to join the winter KCW, which ends tomorrow.

First up was the jacket. I had bought 1.5 yards of Malden Mills fleece from Fabric Mart.  This fleece had a regular fleecey side, and then sort of a hard, knit, shiny side.  I hemmed and hawed about whether to do single or double layer (and asked the question on the O+S forums and at Pattern Review).  I also wanted to use the Sunday Brunch pattern, but without the gathered skirt, and sort of in a swing coat style.  When I went to modify the pattern pieces, I realized that Sunday Brunch only goes up to size 3 - drat, had I realized that, I would have ordered the next size up during last month's pattern sale!

After cutting out my modified front and back, I realized that two layers of sleeve in a size 3 would probably be a little tight as outerwear.  I concluded that my warmer jackets seem to have less insulation in the sleeve than the body, and decided to just do a single-layer sleeve.  I hope it is warm enough.


I'm particularly happy with the nicely finished inside.


Next up was a longsleeved tshirt.  I wanted it to be quick, so I cut two backs from the Hopscotch pattern, lowering the neckline on the front another 3/4". I wanted to add some length after sewing everything together, so I made sweatshirt-type bands for the hem and the sleeves.  The main fabric is interlock from Joann's, and the neck binding is Free Spirit jersey.



Lastly, I made some pants.  I used the Playtime legging pattern.  I think Playtime is my favorite O+S pattern.  I have made four Playtime dresses and three pairs of leggings already.  I used some adorable butterfly jegging fabric from Girl Charlee. I added some back pockets to make them look just a bit more like proper pants.  I would have done some twin needle topstitching on the front to make a faux fly and pockets, but my machine is on a twin needle strike.  Sad.


And then, like any good mother, I made my daughter model outside in the snow.  She is actually thrilled with her new duds so she didn't mind.










3 comments:

  1. Great job, Masha! I am impressed that you don't buy clothes anymore for the kids. It's awesome! I wish I could say the same but no, I procrastinate and then when they need it real bad I just go and buy instead of sewing. Maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dasha! I am sure my not-buying-clothes status will change once we are back in the States; but for now I am enjoying not having to order stuff for them online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also the relatives are still buying clothes ... so it's not like the entire wardrobe is handmade!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!